11/25/2004

Chapter 31

“What do you mean he’s gone again?”
Saratin’s mind boggled at the news the bedraggled bunch of travelers had brought when they set down on a large black dragon mid afternoon. Surely it wasn’t possible that Lasser had found the prince, and the missing Adeo to boot, and had lost them again, along with a map that could possibly save all their lives.
“And you didn’t go after them?”
“It would have been rather difficult. I mean the way Snult flies they could be there by now, but Cunegunde refused to carry that many passengers after a dragon she despises. She’d only carry us this far.” Lasser had immediately tried to magick up a new set of clothes, but failed. “Did you know that our magic doesn’t work outside of Galadin?”
That was indeed news to Galadin. The other Great Mages had found themselves bogged down enough with the problems within the four mountain walls that they didn’t go searching them out elsewhere. It did really clarify why Saratin had never read of the other trees in any of the books. If they were located outside, then the Great Mages would have had to travel without the convenience and safety of magic. It would not have been a journey they would have undertaken lightly.
Saratin turned to Malek. “You don’t seem to upset over the fact that your son is gone again.”
“I think we’ve reached the conclusion he can take care of himself. Besides, he’s got Pylon with him.”
“So the fate of Galadin rests in a useless prince, a boy, a dragon and a large green cat. I’m quite reassured.”
Malek and Lasser stared at him as if he’d grown three heads.
“While you’ve all been gallivanting around, I’ve been having to manage everything here by myself. I’ve been getting nearly hourly messengers from King Deseda wanting to know where her son is, and Lynah is running amuck again. I can’t get my own work done let alone the five of yours. And Trevelyn just randomly disappearing didn’t help me any either.”
None of those were the real reason for his bad mood, but he wasn’t about to share that information with Lasser and Malek. Saratin knew that he was usually the sole voice of optimism among the mages, but today was not a good one for him.
Saratin sighed and shooed the two out of his office, telling them to get some sleep. Hopefully a good night’s rest would return their powers. Otherwise, Saratin was going to be on his own for a bit longer.
There was nothing else to do, it seemed, but wait and hope the prince had enough brains to find the seeds and bring them back to the tree. It couldn’t be that hard to accomplish when he had the speed of a dragon to help.
Saratin tried to concentrate back on his current book, but the words just began to shift into nonsense symbols before his tired eyes. He waved the book closed and entered the attached chambers.
He entered the small spartan room and sat in the chair next to Chau’s bed. Brother Chau opened his eyes and smiled at Saratin.
“Hello, how are you feeling?”
“Better than you, by the looks of it,” Chau said. “Things not going well?”
“At least they’re back, but they didn’t find it. Instead they let Prince Orin and Masonae go after it.”
“The seeds will be found eventually.”
“I don’t want eventually. I want now. Perhaps when the tree is healed I can find a way to…”
“Saratin,” Chau sighed. “I don’t want to live any longer. I’m quite old enough.”
“But I still need you. Brother Claud still doesn’t seem to have an idea of how to make things run smoothly.”
“Give him time. It took me twenty years to master it. He’s quite capable. I hand picked him myself.”
Saratin shook his head. Even if Chau was ready, he wasn’t.
“Some days I just feel so lost.”
“We all do, but I know you’ll do fine without me. I had enough faith in you twenty years when I sent you off with that wagon of supplies.”
“The wagon got eaten by dragons.”
“And you came back a mage. You would have made a wonderful librarian, but somehow I always knew you were destined for bigger and better things. Your mother knew that too. That’s why she gave you to me.”
“I don’t remember my mother.”
“Oh, she’s there, in your head, if you try to find her. Just the way Geoi is always floating about and soon I’ll be there too.”
“I want you here.”
“We can’t have everything we want, and it’s in how we deal with not getting our way that truly shows what kind of people we are.”
Saratin sighed again.
“I’m sure you’ll feel better after a nice nap,” Chau replied as he patted Saratin’s hand. “Sleep always makes me feel better. Go. Besides, you’re grumpy.”
This time Saratin smiled. “I’ll wait until you sleep.” He picked up Brother Chau’s favorite book of poetry and read, most of it coming from his memory. He let the images of Chau, younger and healthy play along to the rhythm of the words. He continued long after Chau had drifted off to sleep.

No comments: