11/07/2004

Chapter 14

Mitty waited most of the morning before her patience finally gave out. She concentrated for a moment and landed herself in Saratin’s study. Oddly enough, he wasn’t there.
She popped into the dining hall, startling a few brothers with her sudden presence, then quickly moved to what she had determined to be Saratin’s favorite spot to be alone. It was mostly just a dimple in the mountain walls that surrounded Tamarin, reachable by only other mages. Saratin currently sat in the sunshine. His plush chair had a bookstand that held an enormous tomb that Saratin was reading.
“I was hoping to find something more helpful than ‘not in Galadin’ from one of these books,” he said without looking up.
“Masonae’s not back yet, and he’s not here either.”
“He’ll turn up eventually.”
“I don’t want eventually. I want now.” Mitty stared down at him. It was hard to be mad at Saratin. He was boyish, his robes always looking slightly too big for him, even though she’d tailored them more than once. He sighed in resignation and closed his eyes.
“I can’t find him,” he replied, a hint of curiosity in his voice.
“Yes, I already tried that. I need another way.”
“How did you find what you were looking for before you became a mage?” Mitty wasn’t sure if he was talking to her, or thinking out loud.
“I just looked… but Toumat was certainly a lot smaller than the space between here and Gooled. The only time I left Gooled was when Malek took…” She trailed off in mid sentence. How did she locate things on that journey? How did Malek locate her when she’d wished herself off to jail?
“Saratin, you’re a genius.”
“I just asked the questions. I didn’t come up with the answer.” He went back to his book. Mitty popped herself back to her cabin. The smell of herbal tea lifted her spirits.
“Masonae?” she called.
“No, it’s just me,” Trevelyn came out of the kitchen bearing a teapot and a cup. By the time she set the teapot down on the table, she’d magicked up another cup. She poured the tea and added sugar, one spoonful for her, and two for Mitty.
“Making tea always relaxes me.”
“Lynah’s forgotten again?” Mitty sat down next to her at the table.
“Yes. I can’t get anything done with her underfoot. I can’t wait until the boys get back with the seeds. I would do just about anything to cure her right now.”
“I really would like to have tea with you, but I’ve just figured out how to find Masonae. It was really stupid how I didn’t think of it earlier.” Mitty stood and went over to the fireplace, where the large milky white ball had sat in its little gold circlet holder for nearly twenty years. It was a reminder really, of what had brought Malek and her together. It was also the last thing Malek had stolen.
“Are you sure it will work?” Trevelyn asked.
Mitty held the locater ball in her hands and spoke clearly. “I want to find Masonae.” Tears welled up when it didn’t respond. Trevelyn put a comforting arm around her and Mitty choked back a sob.
“I just want to find him. I know he’s smart and he’s not alone, but—” The idea sped into her brain, and before she could lose the glimmering hope she said, “I want to find Pylon.”
The ball blinked once and then glowed faintly. She began to giggle in spite of herself.
“I love that stupid cat.” Mitty gave Trevelyn a comforting squeeze. “I can find him now.
“Good.”
“Why don’t you come with me? I could use the company, and I’ll probably need someone to stop me from killing my son when I find him.”
“That sounds better than being chased around Tamarin by Lynah,” Trevvie said as she waved the tea away. “Count me in.”

No comments: