Prince Orin was quickly discovering that the people of Galadin were a lot less hospitable than he previously thought. They tended to be suspicious of strangers and disinclined to believe anything that went against their current opinions of the world.
“So you are saying that Great Mage Lasser sent you off on a quest with nothing but an apprentice and, and a boy.”
“And a secret questing weapon.” He held out the leather bag with the hole that Master Lasser had given to him.
“And what’s inside?”
“It’s only to be opened in case of dire emergency.”
“Ahh. Are you sure they sent you with only an apprentice?”
“Well originally there were four brothers, 12 courtiers with servants and squires and a cook with four hands, but we lost them.”
“How irresponsible.”
“It wasn’t his fault,” Brother Hricks interjected. “It was the dragons. They may have been eaten.”
“Perhaps you should remain here until we can provide for proper supervision. I can send a letter today and in a few days--”
“We don’t have a few days,” Masonae said quickly.
Where did you say you were from?” Brother Cualque peered at Masonae from above his spectacles. He had been trying to ignore the large cat lounging by Masonae’s side.
“Up north,” Brother Hricks answered.
“I asked him, not you. Where exactly up north?”
Masonae stared at his feet.
“Gooled.”
“Ah. I’ve been there many times. How come I’ve never seen you?”
“I lived there all my life.”
“So you would know Garn?”
“Yes. He’s a shopkeeper there.”
“Rather skinny fellow with black hair?”
“Garn is actually pretty stocky with red hair. Perhaps it’s a different one.”
“Hmm.” The brother pretended to be interested in a paper on his desk.
“Not a good idea at all. Well, get a good night’s sleep and we’ll discuss it further in the morning,” Brother Cualque shook his head to himself as they left his office.
They were given a bath, a meal, and three spartan beds in a cell of the monastery. The three of them sat on their beds and got ready to sleep.
“We can’t stay here more than one night,” Masonae said in a hushed voice.
“I agree,” Prince Orin said, nodding. If they stayed, one night would turn into ten, and Brother Cualque would have time to get a response to his letter. He’d soon have another forty courtiers tramping along under foot.
“We’ll have to sneak out,” Masonae said. “The hardest part will be getting the horses.”
“Perhaps this isn’t such a good idea. It will feel like stealing.” Both Orin and Masonae turned to glare at Hricks.
“They are our horses,” Orin said.
“Now the food, we might have to steal. I already saved some from dinner.”
“You should give that back.”
“Like they are going to want it after it’s been in my shirt.”
“It’s not very nice.”
“No one’s been very nice to us,” Orin said honestly. “I say we leave after breakfast. Someone who blends in would have an easier chance to get the horses undetected.” He stared pointedly at the cassocked brother.
“You want me to steal the horses?”
“We’re not stealing them… but if you don’t want to, then Masonae and I will continue on without you.”
Orin knew he had Brother Hricks’s cooperation with that comment. There was no way he wanted to be left behind. He blew out the candles and settled into his bed.
“Now a good night’s sleep is all we need. We’ll borrow more food at breakfast and--”
“I still can’t believe that you’re a prince and you have no money,” Masonae stated in the darkness.
“Why should I need money. Technically I own everything. It’s the people’s duty to provide me with what I need.”
“You mean your mother owns everything.”
“Well, one day I’ll inherit. That’s what parents live for… so their children can inherit. They can’t live forever.”
“Oh, really? Sometimes I think mine will.” There was a wry tone in Masonae’s voice, but Orin was too tired to continue the conversation.
At dawn they were awakened by the bells that called the brothers to breakfast. Prince Orin and Masonae filled their clothes with crusty bread rolls, hunks of cheese and the occasion piece of fruit as they ate. Brother Hricks reluctantly removed a few items as well, whenever he seemed to think Prince Orin was watching.
They were left alone for brief period after breakfast, where they were able to unload their pilfered meals into Masonae’s bag. They shoved Brother Hricks in the general direction of the stable, with the clear warning that they would be waiting outside the gate and would be leaving whether he arrived or not.
Actually leaving the monastery was easy. The gatekeeper was still snoozing in the corner as they lifted the heavy latch and swung the door open. Just as they were about to close the gate, they heard the clip clop of the horses coming down the hall. Hricks sat atop Elly and led Mary by the reins.
“Hey, wait a minute there,” a voice called out from behind him.
Brother Hricks spurred the horses into a full gallop. Prince Orin and Masonae managed to get the door open wide enough for them to pass through. They ran after Hricks in a crazy sprint, as he headed out of town.
He slowed long enough to hand Mary over to Orin and offer a hand up to Masonae. Then the two horses took off towards the mountains with Pylon quickly on their heels.
11/13/2004
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment