11/11/2005

The Perfect Outfit

“I’m so going to go take this off.” Ofelia turned back towards the bedroom, but Larissa blocked the way.
“You are so not going to take it off… at least until you get to Rex’s. And then you have to play it cool first. Don’ let him jump you right when you come through the door.”
All of Ofelia’s blood poured into her cheeks.
“Thank you, Miss Teenage Fashion Queen.”
Larissa lowered her voice so that Jack couldn’t hear.
“Just because I’m a virgin, doesn’t mean that I don’t have an imagination. Now stop looking at me like you swallowed a fish, and get going. You don’t want to be late.”
Larissa grabbed Ofelia’s blazer by the sleeve and pulled her out the door. Ofelia was too late to realize what Larissa planned to do. She closed the door and locked it, leaving Ofelia no choice. Stunned, Ofelia stared at the door for a long moment. Unfortunately the only two people she knew who could open locked doors were Jack and her mother. Jack was obviously behind said locked door, and there was no way in the universe Larissa was showing up on her mother’s doorstep looking like this.
Ofelia felt a wave of relief when suddenly Larissa opened the door. It was quickly crushed when Larissa threw a pair of shoes at her and closed the door again. They were silver spiky heeled sandals that were completely impractical, as Jack had yet to activate the paving machines. The shoes were also two sizes too small.
“We don’t wear the same shoes size!”
When she received no response, Ofelia placed the shoes by the door and carefully picked her way across the uneven ground in her bare feet. If she got bitten by some strange bug and died, it would be all Larissa’s fault.
At least Rex lived next door. She pushed the doorbell, and the door slid opened promptly.
“I’m not wearing any shoes,” she said.
“That’s okay. Neither am I.” She gave him a good once over as he leaned against the doorframe. Bare feet, black wrinkled slacks, white buttoned down shirt, half unbuttoned and also wrinkled, stubbly chin, hair tousled. Why that look made him sexy as hell, Ofelia couldn’t pinpoint. Maybe it was his eyes; intense blue taking her in.
“You let the teen dress you?”
“Uh huh. And then she locked me out when I wanted to change.”
“Good move. She’s got spunk. Did anyone else see you like that?”
“No, well Jack did, but he’s drunk.”
“Oh. Is that my fault? Are we going to fight?” The grin on his face told her he was teasing again.
“Maybe,” she replied.
“Oh, God, I hope so.”
Rex reached out and pulled her into his quarters. Ofelia leaned into him for a kiss and Rex put one arm around her under her blazer, touching her bare back. The other hand closed the door behind her and then touched her neck, his thumb tilting her head up for better access. He broke the kiss off with a groan.
“It’s been a damn long afternoon.”
“Seriously.”
“I hope you’re not hungry,” Rex said in between applying kisses to her collarbone. Ofelia could see the table set and ready behind him. Dinner was definitely ready.
“Dinner smells good, but you smell better.”
“I was hoping you’d say that.”
Unprepared, Ofelia squeaked when Rex suddenly bent down and picked her up in his arms and carried her off into the bedroom.

No comments: